Accessibility:
Whilst the Town route is on tarmaced paths, part of the Country route through Richmond Park is on a well trod 'country path' with rough steps and some unevenness, which may be muddy or slippery after rain.
The Richmond Lock option includes 2 flights of steps at each of the bridges - in total some 80 steps up and 80 steps down, but these can be avoided by keeping to the east bank in both directions.
The Terrace Gardens section is largely step free but ascent from the lower terrace (Bulbous Betty Statue) to the highest terrace and the Richmond Hill viewpoints, involves some 22 steps spread over 4 sections.. The lower terrace has nice views and plenty of seats and the riverside return route from there provides a step-free route back so a slightly shorter step-free 'Town and River' route is possible.
Refreshments:
There are cafes at the mid-points of both the short and longer walks and if you feel in need of refreshment at the end of the walk, then there are pubs, cafes and restaurants at Richmond Green.
Dogs - Pembroke Lodge Gardens.
Unfortunately dogs are not allowed in the gardens, so keeping the fence on your left, follow if round to the car park and continue straight on past toilets and alongside fence. Go past a vehicle entrance. You then arrive at a pedestrian entrance to gardens which leads directly to King Henrys Mount (100 metres). Continue alongside the fence until you reach a viewpoint, with S-shaped 'Poets' seat and garden exit. Here you rejoin main route.
Points of Interest:
Additional Information - Richmond Libraries', Local Study Collection has detailed local history notes about many of the buildings we pass on this walk. The intitals LHN below indicate when such additional information is available. The notes can be downloaded using this link.
A Richmond Theatre (1899 Grade II* Listed) - Opened as the Richmond Theatre and Opera House, it is one of the finest surviving examples of the work of theatre architect Frank Matcham. Refurbished in 1991, it showcases West End and touring productions from across the UK, and is open 49 weeks of the year.
B Richmond Green has been an important open space since the Middle Ages when it hosted jousting competitions. The Green has been a venue for cricket for many centuries, the earliest reference being in a letter of 1666. There are fine buildings all around the green many of which are listed properties dating back many centuries. Originally these were for people serving or visiting Richmond Palace (see D ) but further development occurred with the coming of the railway, when Victorian villas were built for commuters. It is now one of the most sought-after 'addresses' in the London area. (LHN).
C Maid of Honours Row (1724-6, Grade 1 Listed) - A fine Georgian terrace built on the instructions of the Prince of Wales, later George II] to serve as lodgings for the maids of honour attending the Princess of Wales. (LHN)
D Richmond Palace Henry VII built Richmond Palace on the site of the former Palace of Shene after a fire in 1497 and it was for a while the showplace of the kingdom. However Hampton Court palace built by Cardinal Wolsey, was to overshadow Richmond and Henry VIII acquired Hampton Court on Wolsey's Death. Richmond then became a home for his discarded queens. Elizabeth, in her reign, was particularly fond of Richmond, as a winter home and Shakespeare's company performed here. Under Charles I, Richmond Palace was once again used as a home for the royal children. After Charles I’s execution, Richmond Palace was sold by the Commonwealth Parliament and the palace broken up. Over the next ten years it was largely demolished. In the 18th century new houses replaced many of the crumbling brick buildings - ‘Trumpeters’ House’ dates from 1702 and was followed by ‘Old Court House’ and ‘Wentworth House’ in 1705-7. The Wardrobe building had been joined up to the Gate House in 1688-9 and its garden front was rebuilt about 1710. (LHN)
E Asgill House (c 1757) is an 18th century riverside Palladian villa, on the former site of the Palace brewhouse. It was built as a summer and weekend country villa, by Robert Taylor, for Sir Charles Asgill, a successful banker and Lord Mayor of London and is among the last villas of importance to be erected on banks of the Thames. It was returned to its original appearance in a restoration of 1969–70. (LHN)
F Old Deer Park. A hunting park of 370 acres was established here by King James in 1603. The present name 'Old Deer Park' was adopted after 1637, following the establishment by King Charles I of the much larger Richmond Park on the other side of the town. George III built an observatory in the park from which he followed theTransit of Venus in 1769. He had it lined up with three obelisks along his personal Meridian before the advent of the Greenwich Meridian. The observatory set the official time for London throughout the 1770’s. In the 19th century the land changed from private royal estate to public amenity. A substantial area was leased for Cricket, Rugby and Golf and 87 acres was allocated as a public recreation ground. The northern part became Kew Gardens.
G Richmond Lock (1894, Grade II Listed) is a half-tide lock, barrage and footbridge built to maintain water levels in the tidal part of the river below Teddington Lock. For about two hours each side of high tide, the sluice gates of the barrage are raised so that river traffic can pass through. For the rest of the tidal cycle the sluice gates are closed to traffic which must use the lock.
H Cholmondley Walk. Built on land reclaimed from the river it dates from the 18th century and was one of the first pedestrian walkways in the UK - originaly having two pathways, one for 'polite' society and a more muddy path on the the water's edge for everyone else. It was called Cholmondeley Walk after the Earl of Cholmondeley who lived in a house on the site now occupied by Maids of Honour Row. (LHN)
I Richmond Riverside.(1984-7) Designed by Quinlan Terry, the Richmond Riverside Development incorporates two listed buildings with a large river-facing facade displaying a rich palette of 18th-century architecture. This large development comprises of offices, flats, shops, two restaurants, community facilities, two underground car parks and riverside gardens. It retains many historic boat sheds.
J Richmond Bridge (1777 Grade 1 listed). It is the oldest surviving bridge in London. Widened during 1937, and apart from being less "hump-backed", its original appearance was preserved. (LHN).
K Terrace Gardens (and Buccleuch Gardens) are made up of the grounds of three 18th and 19th century estates. The grounds of Buccleuch House and Landsdowne House became a public park in 1887 and the Cardigan House grounds was added in the 1920s. None of these houses is still standing but the 19th century layout of their gardens is still very much in evidence. They were refurbished at a cost of £1 million pounds between 2007 and 2009.
K1 Grotto Gate: Buccleuch Gardens and the Terrace Gardens are connected by a flint-lined, barrel-vaulted tunnel under Petersham Road (probably 18th century, remodelled in the 19th, listed Grade II), now known as Grotto Gate.
K2 River God statue (1784). It is made of Coade stone, an artificial stone ceramic material which could be moulded into complex shapes. It was first created by Mrs Eleanor Coade and sold commercially from 1769 to 1833. It has a high resistance to weathering.
K3 Summer House Located on the site of previous rustic, thatched garden shelters, it looks out over internal vistas of the park, but is a modern construction dating from 2007. The rock garden dates from 1928.
K4 Spring Well. Part of the grounds of Cardigan House, this 19th century brick-built icehouse is cut into the hillside and redesigned in the later 19th century as an ornamental garden feature, decorated with seashells and what appears to be slag. This structure may predate Cardigan House and date from the period of Richmond Wells (1696-1763) a 17th century venue for cards and musical entertainment. The concrete barrels are believed to have been moulded from barrels carried by the famous tea clipper, Cutty Sark.
K5 Fishmarker Stone A marker stone originally located on the bank of the Thames, indicating the distance to Westminster Bridge (4 3/4 miles) and which acted as a fare stage for Thames Waterman.
L Aphrodite Statue (Bulbous Betty). The previous cast iron fountain was removed for salvage in World War II and this Portland Stone version by Allan Howe dates from 1952. It was considered by many as in bad taste and was immediately given the nickname Bulbous Betty.
M Richmond Hill Viewpoint: So celebrated is this view that an act of parliament was passed in 1904 to protect it from development - it’s the only protected view in England. The legislation was the first-ever piece of environmental planning, and a plaque on the hill commemorates the passing of the act.
N Petersham Meadows The name Petersham is derived from the Saxon name Piterichesham which means a home or enclosure of Patrick. Petersham Meadows were a part of the estate attached to Ham House from the early 17th Century until the latter years of the 19th Century. There have been cows grazing here from, at least, that time and they have been featured in many famous paintings and photographs.
O St Peter's Church. It is probable that there has been a church on this site since Saxon times. The current church dates from 1266 but only part of the chancel is left. In 1505 the body of the church was rebuilt and there were later additions in the 17th and 19th century. (LHN)
P Richmond Park. The Park has changed little over the centuries and although it is surrounded by human habitation, the varied landscape of hills, woodland gardens and grasslands set among ancient trees abounds in wild life. Richmond Park has been designated as a site of special scientific interest and a National Nature Reserve. The royal connections to this park probably go back further than any of the others, beginning with Edward (1272-1307), when the area was known as the Manor of Sheen. The name was changed to Richmond during Henry VII's reign. In 1637 Charles I built an 8 mile brick wall round the park to stop his 2000 deer escaping. Deer are still a feature of the park today.
Q Pembroke Lodge. This Georgian Mansion began life as a one room cottage occupied by a molecatcher whose sole duty was to reduce the peril presented to huntsmen by moles. It was substantially enlarged during the 18th century. Queen Victoria granted it to her prime minister, Lord John Russell, in 1847 and his grandson, the philosospher Bertrand Russell, lived there between 1876 and 1890. Now in private hands and restored to its former architectural glory, Pembroke Lodge is open to the public for refreshments, weddings and conferences.
R King Henry's Mound, the highest point within the park, is believed to be a Bronze Age burial site and legend has it that Henry Vlll watched hunting here. From the Mound there is a legally protected view, of St Paul's Cathedral, over 10 miles (16 km) to the east. This view is protected by a 'dome and a half' width of sky on either side. To the west is a panorama of the Thames Valley.
S Royal Star & Garter Home (Grade II Listed, 1919-24). Occupies the site of the former Star and Garter Hotel which was sold off after it fell into disrepair. The home was established by Queen Mary and the British Red Cross in 1916 to provide care for disabled sailors and soldiers. The home is due to close in 2013 when it moves to new premises at Surbiton.